Job Title: Fleet Mechanic
Reports to: Head Mechanic
Status: Full-time, Non-Exempt
The Fleet Mechanic reports to the Head Mechanic and is responsible for assisting the department with any appropriate duties. This position will require strong attention to detail and a focus on increasing efficiency and accountability. This role will also include repairs and maintenance of class 7, class 8 truck, trailers, spreaders, sprayers, and product delivery systems. Duties include parts running as directed by the Head Mechanic and general labor within the shop.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists with conducting regular and as needed inspections on vital equipment to ensure safety and availability of MVC fleet
- Helps maintain maintenance records on all vehicle and equipment
- Troubleshoots vehicle systems on a limited basis, accurately identifying causes of maintenance problems. Utilizes and schedules outside services to help repair vehicles when needed
- Follows paper-flow procedures including documenting correct mileage/hours, save and tag all warranty and core parts, document all repairs on work order using complaint, cause, and correction format, follow parts ordering/billing procedures
- Accurately and professionally document all actions taken in written and electronic format. Completes all necessary forms (e.g., repair orders, service truck logs, warranty tags, etc.)
- Actively and continuously improves professional knowledge, skills, and abilities by participating in routine training sessions and educational seminars relevant to position and job duties
- Proactively maintains a safe working environment with regard to all job duties
- Other duties as assigned
- Solid knowledge of engine, transmissions, and controls
- Solid knowledge of brakes and suspensions
- Solid skills with common mechanic hand tools, pneumatic tools, and diagnostic procedures
- Solid ability to use prudent judgment and problem-solving skills
- CDL Class B; if not Class A
Education and/or Experience:
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) required; and a satisfactory completion of automotive and heavy equipment training courses – Preferred: Vocational/Technical degree in related field (automotive, etc.)
- ASE Certification in automotive or truck preferred
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
- Valid Driver’s License
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will exert up to 100 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects. Repetitive motion. Substantial movements (motions) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers. The worker is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading. Work is performed in an office environment and requires the ability to operate standard office equipment and keyboards. Must have the ability to walk short distances, and/or drive a vehicle to deliver and pick up materials. Reasonable accommodations may be to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works near moving mechanical parts. The employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles, risk of electrical shock, and vibration. The employee occasionally works in high, precarious places and in outside weather conditions and is occasionally exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals. The noise level in the work environment is usually very loud.